Sunday 20 January 2013

Rugby - It's only a game

This is an offshoot of my Travels with Dinno strand. Last weekend Dinno took on Old Brodleians. This is a team I know well having come up against them a number of times over the years. For the record the result was a loss for Dinno 19 - 31. The first team were up 14 - 5 at half time I think. In the second half the development team with the boy at stand off came on and were blitzed by the aggressive pack play of Brods. This was something I had mentioned to the coaches before the game.

The development team were simply not able to get the ball moving and on the occasions when passes were made they were not taken.  The reason that I am not adding this post to the Travels With Dinno slot is that it has taken me a week to calm down enough to write this post. If I had written it last weekend I would have been less than complimentary to a lot of people. In particular I don't like criticising coaches because I have done it myself.

These are two u13s sides. It is not the deciding match of the Rugby World Cup. In the scheme of things it does not matter. So I would be grateful if there are any readers out there who can explain why it is acceptable for a kid to be left in tears because  his coach and team mates blame him personally for the defeat.

My lad is an intelligent and sensitive lad who loves his rugby. He plays that way as well and always has. It is equally frustrating and brilliant. He and most of the development team were pulled off as Brods took control. The boy had tried passing to people but every time he did they dropped the ball so he took the decision to try and drive things himself by running the ball. Unfortunately what had worked against Scunthorpe didn't work against Brods.

The boy has played stand off half a dozen times and is still learning the role. He needs support and encouragement not to be taken to one side by a coach and being told it was his fault for not passing the ball. Perhaps if the coaches trained the development players better at catching the ball for a while. The development team that went out that day was not the one that has done so well this season.

It also does not speak well of the welcoming nature of the club that your team mates then pile and in blame you as well. I have been made to feel very welcome since coming back down south. My lad has not settled and his fellow players have not really made him feel very welcome some of the time. At times he feels like an outcast.

If you are a coach of junior or mini rugby I urge you to try and encourage your players. Be aware that not everybody is happy and doesn't feel part of things. Also don't make statements that are not then backed up because you end up with a situation that players don't believe you.

So to those people who may have wondered where I had gone this is my explanation. To those who helped the boy and got in touch with me a huge thank you. You know who you are.

Rant over and hopefully normal service will be resumed soon with the boy back and enjoying his rugby.

No comments: